In your prior job, if you have done everything short of keeping your bones in the desert sun to get bleached, should you not try for something better in the next job?
Today morning, I passed a cow on the way back home from the milk booth. I happened to have milk, bread, biscuits and grapes in a large satchel. The cow stopped as we passed each other, and licked my arm. The natural thing would have been for me to give her something to eat. But I could not part with anything in my satchel. My ancestors lived on a farm. It might have been a small holding of a few acres. However, they had a few cows and buffaloes in a barn. They also had banana plants in the backyard, as we see in traditional Indian farmsteads. They not only had cows, they could also feed those cows! Though my ancestors might have been poor in monetary terms, they were rich in terms of the assets that mattered!
How much do YOU think a tree is worth?? And how does one measure the value and then convert the result to monetary terms? Here's one way..... When Sue Rostas, Communications Officer for the Kooragang Wetland Rehabilitation Project, received a letter from Carrington Public school student, Michael Wilson, it set her thinking. Michael asked what was the economic value of a tree. He suggested we assume a value of $1 a day for the amount of oxygen that a tree produces. A tree thus produces $365 worth of oxygen per year or a total of $36,500 over 100 years (and that's not allowing for inflation!) Sue wondered how close to the mark was this assumed dollar value. A few phone calls to Assoc. Prof. Tlna Offler, University of Newcastle, and Bill Nethery, State Forests of NSW, plus some library work revealed some startling but often overlooked facts about the true value of trees. Michael's assumption had in fact greatly underestimated the value of trees. The true value (considering on...
A few years ago, I had the opportunity to go to the great singer Gangubai Hangal's home. Smt. Gangubai believed that through music, one can express what cannot be expressed through words. I too believe that is true. I also agree with Smt. Gangubai's assertion that music must be taught in schools. Today, only people who are aware of the benefits of artistic skill, send their children to musicians. I strongly believe that if every child gets the opportunity to learn music in one or the other form, he or she will grow up with a wholesome personality, and become a person who is sensitive to other people's feelings.
Comments
Post a Comment